Thursday, May 28, 2020

Getting Dangerous With ZouZou : An Exclusive Conversation With Vocalist ZouZou Mansour Of Soraia

ZouZou Mansour (Photo credit : Andrew Zaeh)
Z




“Searing guitars, burning soul and true CBGB grit: Soraia are the rock you need, in your face now.”



— David Fricke, Rolling Stone/Sirius XM Radio


Personal growth, rebirth, even revolution. Those are the themes fast-rising Philly band Soraia sing about on their brand new release "Dig Your Roots". A release under normal times would be accompanied by a tour to support the album. 

However, due to the COVID 19 pandemic which has brought the entire music world to its knees seemingly overnight that was a tour not to be - at least not now.

An extremely solid offering of songs which is sure to please the rock & roll faithful, their third album on Wicked Cool Records, assisted in the studio once again by producer/engineer Geoff Sanoff, whose credits include notable work with Bruce Springsteen, Fountains Of Wayne and Dashboard Confessional, they've managed to come up with an album which combines all their strengths in one package. 

Soraia has come a long way since their punked-up cover of The Kinks’ “(I’m Not) Like Everybody Else” hit #1 on Rock radio in South America in 2015. Their independently released debut album In The Valley Of Love And Guns from 2013 features five songs co-written with Jon Bon Jovi.



As a spiritual descendent of iconic women in rock such as Patti Smith and Joan Jett, ZouZou’s Philadelphia-based band also embodies elements of kindred spirits of the ’90s and beyond - like PJ Harvey and The Kills, with more than a sprinkling of ’60s Garage Rock and Soul.

Loud, hard-rocking, aggressive yet highly melodic and hooky, Soraia brings a wide variety of '70s, '80s, and '90s influences to the table. As evidenced by their spirited cover of The Sonics' "Have Love Will Travel" which live sits comfortably alongside David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" and Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U". Even hard rockers Kiss get assayed with "Strutter" as well as Dolly Parton's "Jolene".

A Soraia show is truly an experience due to the connection the band has with its audience. A connection that has continued with the numerous live streams, both individually and collectively throughout these COVID 19 times.

When together you can feel the camaraderie of the band -which besides Mansour consists of guitarist Nick Seditious, bassist Travis Smith, and drummer Brianna Sig - shine through, establishing a bond with their audience which is rare these days.

It was during these uncertain times that I sat down with the band's charismatic frontman, ZouZou Mansour to discuss the new release, her influences, and a whole lot more.


Interview and text by Keith Langerman © 2020 Nightwatcher's House Of Rock


Nightwatcher's House Of Rock: First off ZouZou, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to sit down and talk with me, it's truly a pleasure. How are you holding up?


 ZouZou Mansour I'm doing well--I think a little stir crazy--but I get out when I need to. So, I'm staying connected which is keeping me sane. Thanks for asking!

NHOR: You have a new album, Dig Your Roots, which was just released March 13th via Little Steven's Wicked Cool Records. What are your favorite songs on the album and why?

 ZM: They're all my favorites, honestly. Lately, "Wild Woman" and "Superman Is Gone"; but I originally was a huge fan of "Dangerous" and "Way That You Want It"---so it definitely changes.

 NHOR: Obviously, with the situation being how it is at the moment you're not able to go on tour to promote the album. How are you working around that fact and are you pleased with the response you've received for the release thus far?

 ZM: I'm very pleased with the response so far. I'm thrilled we got to make the video for "Wild Woman" and do some touring before the stay-at-home orders began, but it still was disheartening to lose the tour. Still, we are not the only ones in this boat, and we are also grateful we have new songs to work with. We had more Spotify streams and listeners than ever, made the Billboard Top 40 on the Active Rock indicator Charts five weeks in a row, and are being played to new listeners---all very positive things. 

We learned that we won an Independent Music Award for 2019's "Evergreen" single release during this time, too--a huge achievement for us! We took the opportunity to connect with our friends and fans as much as possible through acoustic covers, Facebook Live Events, and some streaming shows, too. I think we're navigating as well as we can now; it's new territory.

NHOR: The critical response for the new album has been phenomenal. I mean I'm just going to read a few quotes here.. You have people such as David Fricke Of Rolling Stone raving about it: “All rise for the fire and euphoria of Soraia: Dig Your Roots is your road to garage-rock salvation "

Michael Des Barres writes, “The head of this magic monster is charismatic vocalist ZouZou: a voice of seduction and anger...romance and revenge...The band in step and in control: an unbeatable combination. Listen and watch, sweat and smile: Rock n’ roll is alive right here" 

Stevie Van Zandt has been spinning the album. It's pretty much in constant rotation on  Sirius XM's Underground Garage, garnering you yet more "Coolest Song In The World " accolades in the process, the last being for your current single "Wild Woman". You just won an Independent Music Award for the single "Evergreen".

That must be extremely gratifying as an artist to get platitudes from such heavy hitters in the industry like that. Yet, you're very well-grounded. You don't seem to let any of this affect you. That's pretty heady stuff. How do you not let that sort of praise go to your head?

ZM: Well, it's definitely very exciting and positive and validating, aside from it just feels really good. But it's never felt like I did something on my own--I just honored a passion that was a gift and worked on my craft. I think that's the thing I realize. It was all worked for and I think all of us keep working and aspiring, and are extremely grateful for any successes we achieve. It's humbling to be able to do something you love and have wanted to do your whole life. I never forget it's a privilege to create music. And not to be taken lightly. Besides, I realize it's never just me writing the song. It's always a group effort and also--I usually feel our best songs are me being a conduit. I hear something or feel something or something comes up or catches my attention---or a conversation happens. 

Sometimes it's a line in a casual conversation I'm having with a friend. I can't take any credit for that except to have had the forethought to write it all down. Music I listened to growing up and now gives me ideas for melody, and I never write alone. I always collaborate--mainly with Travis (Smith), but also with Brianna, and our former guitarist Mike Reisman, and people before that, too. I've learned from every situation I've written in and every writer I've written with has made me better at being more open to any way of writing.

 NHOR: I know that you and the rest of the band have done live streams, answering questions from fans, etc. While it can't take the place of the live concert situation, have you found that there is still that connection, even at a more personal level?

 ZM: Absolutely. I feel like all of us are going through this together--it's the great equalizer. We all need each other more than ever. I always say it, too. I feel refreshed after we meet on our Facebook Lives and anything we do. It invigorates and inspires to hear everyone and see their faces, too.
ZouZou Mansour (Photo credit : Jeff Smith)


NHOR: What do you find your inspiration when you write? You've had the opportunity to sit down and write with Jon Bon Jovi, and Little Steven has been a huge supporter of the band from the get-go and contributed lyrics to the new album. How does that process work for you?

ZM: Well, I usually have Travis send me all his musical ideas, and between that and things I've been listening to and watching and thinking about--there usually comes a melody and a lyrical idea. I write a verse and chorus--or verse/prechorus/chorus--then I bring it to him and we bang it out--then usually meet one more time to finish it before bringing it to the band where it takes on another life. Ideas continue to come the more we play it live and then when we bring it into the studio, too.

With other writers, it's usually a little different. I've sat in a room with just a few ideas or no ideas at all when sitting with Jon Bon Jovi, and we would come up with a song--usually, he had an idea, if I recall correctly. Always from the point of view of my story. 

It's always a little different with whomever I've written with--but I find it most satisfying to put myself into a room alone with a pad and pencil and some poetry books and all my notes. I'm a bookworm and I'll listen to musical ideas all day and read and write and try things. I love the process, at the same time I get some anxiety before I start it all.

NHOR; If you hadn't become an artist where do you think you'd be working today?

ZM: I would definitely be a writer. I may be writing poetry or short stories, but I would definitely be a writer. Unfortunately, I would sorely miss the singing, performing, and recording...and most of all - the collaborating on ideas.

NHOR: I know your favorite writer is Edgar Allan Poe. Why is that? What is it about Poe's writing which draws you to him?

ZM: I feel like he just speaks to me--his writing is personal, intelligent, unique, and intimate. I feel like he is speaking ion my ear telling the story, and not many writers have that. Emily Dickinson has that quality in her poetry, too. Like she's telling you the intimate secrets of her life. And it's also how I like to approach a song, so I've learned a lot from Poe in terms of writing, too. Especially I'm a big fan of his poem "Alone".

 NHOR: What is your favorite Edgar Allan Poe story?

 ZM: My favorite Poe story is still "The Tell-Tale Heart"---it still scares the Bejesus out of me!

NHOR: Vocally speaking, who would you say have been the biggest influences on your style?

ZM: Otis Redding, All of Motown's music and singers, Joan Jett, Ronnie Spector, Ann Wilson, Dave Grohl, Karen O. There's a ton of singers who have influenced me. These are just a few.

 NHOR: Based on your musical journey thus far, what's been your biggest takeaway or piece of advice?

 ZM: Be authentically you. From the type of music and songs you write to the type of singing or playing you do, to the clothes you wear. BE YOU. You will know who that is by who attracts you musically and in every way. Don't let anyone change who you are drawn to be--accentuate it---yes. But not change it. Don't buy that bullshit that you have to fit some previously constructed mold in order to be successful.

 NHOR: Every band has one. What has been your most "Spinal Tap" moment so far?

 ZM: Oh, there's literally so many. I've definitely been lost backstage at The Basie, and that's not easy to do.

Soraia (Photo credit: Andrew Zaeh)


 NHOR: Your choices for covers are pretty eclectic, from Dolly Parton's "Jolene", Prince's "Wow", The Sonics' "Have Love, Will Travel", The Kinks' "(I'm Not) Like Everyone Else", and on the new album "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor, which was actually written by Prince. What makes a good cover for you? I mean you've even been known to play "Strutter" by Kiss live.. and.."Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie...You also covered Bowie's "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" on 2014's Soraia Lives!...

ZM: Sometimes attraction, and sometimes fan or bandmate requests, and sometimes sheer laziness. I definitely have to be a fan of the song or artist to cover it, or it's coming out terrible. I can't sing something I feel nothing about. Even if I sound alright singing it., I thrive off of the feeling of it, so I've got to feel it. 

"Jolene"... I actually wanted to cover after I had heard The White Stripes' version which made me want to do the song. It really broke my heart-. It was their live version in "Under Blackpool Lights". 

Prince is just an emotional performer, and the lyrics he writes speak to me. The Sonics are the purest eruption of raw energy. That's kind of what works for me. If we learned something for a specific event, sometimes I figure let's just do that song. That's how we started covering "Trash" by New York Dolls. We were doing an event we covered it for, and people loved our version--then Steven got his hands on it -- and it came out amazing when we recorded it!



NHOR: What constitutes a great performance for you?

ZM: When the fans say, "That was such a great show". If they enjoy themselves, then it doesn't matter if we messed up or had a "bad show" for any number of reasons. If they felt great, then I always feel like I did right by them. Personally, when I feel really good about my voice--it's strong and flexible, then I have a great show. But the energy of the room and the people in it absolutely is essential to whether or not the show is a good one, too.

NHOR: Any bands or artists that you've been listening to lately that you'd like to turn people on to?

ZM: God, again: so many. I'm revisiting a lot of artists: Foo Fighters, Hole, Nirvana, Heart, Joan Jett, to name a few. I love Rival Sons' intensity and style and genuine soul and blues. I love their writing. AC/DC, Halestorm, there's so many.

NHOR: Is there anything else that you would like to say to all the fans out there?

ZM: We love you guys. Stay safe-- and please respect yourselves and others.  We' all realize the value of each show and each experience together. We can't wait to see you all and rock together again. Take good care of yourself until then. Hang tight and stay strong. Again: We love you.

For more information on Soraia go to https://www.soraia.com/



No comments:

Jason Kane & The Jive